Friday, September 21, 2012

Sappy

Now that I'm settling into a normal work routine (if you can call working in a space station a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away "normal"), life has been a little less exciting.  Not to brag, but I've been an excellent employee.  Anyone who knows me personally can testify that, in everyday life, I am smiling constantly, and due to my super nonconfrontational nature, I almost never lose my temper.  This all remains true, even when a parent yells at me because I ask to check their child's height once again (we're required to check at at least 2 different positions in the queue) or throws a humongous fit because I make them throw away their hot chocolate that they just bought (really? Do you THINK I'm going to let you bring a cup full of scorching hot molten liquid on a flight simulator?  And what are you doing drinking hot chocolate in 95 degree weather anyways?)  But I have a lot of coworkers who've forgotten about the magic.  After a while, after spending a large part of your time in unglamorous backstage, after dealing with annual passholders who know how to work the system, after knowing too many secrets and hearing too much negativity, the magic starts to fade a little.  It takes an active effort to remember Walt's vision for this place, to preserve it not only for the guests but for yourself.  Too many of those who work here forget to smile and be patient.  But I've made a commitment to find something new to love every day.  I come into the park as a guest at least twice a week, to remind myself what the show looks like from the outside and how I expect to be treated.  I look for "magic moments" to make every day, whether it's calling a little girl in costume Snow White and seeing her face light up or just taking the time to chat with a Star Wars enthusiast who wants to know how many different flights there are and exactly which planets you visit (there are 54 different combinations, just so you know).
I think the most important thing to remember can be summed up by a quote I saw once on Twitter: "Vegas is not an adult Disneyland.  Disneyland is an adult Disneyland."  Everyone who comes here is a child, and everyone wants to see some magic.  Everyone wants to be treated like a special guest by cast members who are just as thrilled as they are to be in the park that day.
I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment